Dienstleistungen von A-Z

Applying for a permit for subsidised housing

You require an “Allgemeine Wohnberechtigungsschein” (general permit for subsidised housing) if you wish to move into subsidised council housing. You must present this to the landlord when you move in. You can obtain it from your municipality and use it anywhere in the state. The permit also covers other members of your household.

The permit for subsidised housing only gives you the opportunity to conclude a tenancy agreement. It does not entitle you to subsidised council housing.

Note: Until 31 December 2007, the issue of permits for subsidised housing was regulated by federal law. These old permits became invalid in Baden-Württemberg on 31 December 2008. If you were already living in subsidised housing at this time and are still doing so, nothing will change for you. You do not have to apply for a new permit for this dwelling. However, you will need a new permit for subsidised housing if you want to move into another subsidised dwelling.

Responsible department

  • The municipal authority (Gemeinde)/city council (Stadtverwaltung) of the place where you normally reside.
  • If you do not ordinarily reside in Baden-Württemberg: the area in which you want to live



The prerequisites for a permit for subsidised housing:

  • you are looking for an apartment.
  • you and the other members of your household do not exceed the maximum income limit.

Tip: You will find more detailed information in the brochure “Der Wohnberechtigungsschein” (Permits for Subsidised Housing) published by the Wirtschaftsministerium. This contains useful information about permits for subsidised housing and the conditions under which they are issued.


You must apply to the competent municipality if you require a permit for subsidised housing. Please use the form intended for this purpose. You can obtain this from your municipal authority. Some municipalities have the form available for download.

Tip: Ideally you should apply for the licence for subsidised housing in person. In this way, you can clarify directly which documents you have to present.

Required documents

Vary from case to case, particularly:

  • personal ID card
  • income statements from all persons wishing to move into the subsidised dwelling, e.g.
    • payslip(s) including proof of special payments
    • last income tax statement or income tax assessment
    • for self-employed persons: last net income statement

Release note

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Finanz- und Wirtschaftsministerium released it on 21.10.2022. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.


Hilfreiche Seiten

No ratings available
*Under some circumstances, no or less than 10 results are displayed