Life situations

Housing Benefit - Permit for Subsidised Housing

Rent allowance

You can receive rent allowance as a rent subsidy or state benefit.

If you are already receiving the rent allowance, you need to bear the following in mind when you move house:

  • You must inform the authority which provided the rent allowance of your move immediately. You must repay any excess rent allowance which has been paid.
  • Your rent allowance claim for the previous place of residence will be forfeited. You should submit an application for the new place of residence immediately. This is important in order for you to continue to receive the rent allowance without interruption, provided that you continue to meet the requirements.

Permit for subsidised housing

A permit for subsidised housing is necessary in order for you to be able to move into social housing. Therefore, you do not have a claim to such a place of residence.

A permit for subsidised housing is valid for a maximum of one year. Should you not move into social housing until after this time, you need to apply for and receive a new permit for subsidised housing.

Release note

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Wirtschaftsministerium released it on 03.12.2020. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.

Corona Pandemic Information

Please note the current reports on


Hilfreiche Seiten

No ratings available
*Under some circumstances, no or less than 10 results are displayed