Applying for an electronic residency title
You will receive the residency title in the format of a bank card incorporating additional electronic functions. Infants and children also receive their own copy. The inside of the card has a contactless chip. It saves
- biometric characteristics (photo, two fingerprints when over the age of six),
- ancillary provisions in connection with the residency title (for example restrictions) and
- personal data.
The card also serves the additional functions of
- an electronic form of ID and
- verified electronic signature (electronic signature function).
The competent body can activate or de-activate these functions on your request. In order to activate the electronic ID function, you must pay a fee of 6 EUR. You do not need to pay this fee if the electronic ID function is activated for the first time when receiving the residency title.
The electronic residency title includes the following residency titles:
- Residency permit
- EU Blue Card
- Settlement permit
- EU permanent residency permit
- Residency permit for citizens of third countries who are family members of a citizen of the EU or EEA
- Permanent residency permit for citizens of third countries who are family members of a citizen of the EU or EEA
Residency permit for citizens of Switzerland and their family members from third countries, should they request an electronic residency permit.
The Foreigners' Authority
The Foreigner's Authority is:
- the city administration if you live in a city district or major city district
- the rural district office if you live in a rural district.
Your residency title is valid for at least one month.
Attention: A residency title in your passport or passport replacement papers which existed before 2011 continues to be valid, however not beyond 31 August 2021. Please apply for the electronic residency title in check card format in good time prior to the expiry of your previous residency permit or travel document.
You must request the electronic residency title from the competent authority personally. It will take your fingerprints at the office. Children over the age of six must also provide fingerprints.
- Passport or passport replacement papers
- a biometric passport photo
- Additional documents, depending on the process
Please enquire at the responsible body in advance about the documents you will have to submit.
- Issuing of a residency permit or ICT card: EUR 100.00
- Extension of the residency permit or ICT card by up to three months: EUR 96.00
- Extension of the residency permit or ICT card by more than three months: EUR 93.00
- Settlement permit: EUR 113.00
- EU permanent residency permit: EUR 109.00
- Settlement permit for graduates: EUR 147.00
- Settlement permit entitling you to work as a self-employed person EUR 124.00
- Issuing of a mobile ICT card: EUR 80.00
- Extension of a mobile ICT card: EUR 70.00
Generally four to six weeks
The electronic residency title can be used in the same way as the personal ID document for German citizens. Detailed information concerning the electronic use of the card can be found on the website of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees.
You can find all you need to know about the electronic residence title in various languages on the internet page of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees.
- Gesetz zur Anpassung des deutschen Rechts an die Verordnung (EG) Nr. 380/2008 des Rates vom 18. April 2008 zur Änderung der Verordnung Nr. 1030/2002 zur einheitlichen Gestaltung des Aufenthaltstitels für Drittstaatenangehörige vom 12. April 2011 (Bundesgesetzblatt, Teil I, 2011, S. 610)
- § 105b Aufenthaltsgesetz (AufenthG) in Verbindung mit der aktuellen Fassung des RL-Umsetzungsgesetzes (Gültigkeit bestehender Aufenthaltstitel)
- § 44 Aufenthaltsverordnung (AufenthV) (Gebühren für die Niederlassungserlaubnis)
- § 44a Aufenthaltsverordnung (AufenthV) (Gebühren für die Erlaubnis zum Daueraufenthalt-EU)
- § 45 Aufenthaltsverordnung (AufenthV) (Gebühren für die Aufenthaltserlaubnis, die Blaue Karte EU, die ICT-Karte und die Mobiler-ICT-Karte)
- § 45a Aufenthaltsverordnung (AufenthV) (Gebühren für den elektronischen Identitätsnachweis)
The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Innenministerium released it on 19.11.2019. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.