Chronicle of the city of Esslingen am Neckar
Esslingen: A proud, medieval Imperial City, early flourishing industrial city, and a modern, central location for economy and education. Esslingen has a proud, rich history that can still be felt and experienced to this very day.
around 1000 BC until 100-200 AD
around 650 - 1000 AD
The Neckargau region, which encompasses Esslingen as well, is ruled by the Merovingian family of Pleonungen.
First documented mention of Esslingen: Abbot Fulrad von Saint-Denis, chaplain to Pippin and Charlemagne, bequeathed the sixth cell above the Rhine Neckar given to him by the Alsatian noble Hafti (Hatto/Hetti) to the Saint Denis Imperial Monastery near Paris in the event of his death (784). The sixth cell was also the resting place of the bones of Saint Vitalis.
1077 - 1388
Documents show Esslingen as the administrative center of an area spanning mainly across the Filder highlands.
Battle of Frankfurt: Esslingen stands in opposition to the Counts of Wirtenberg, who were defeated in the battle of the Staufers; this marks the beginning of discord between Esslingen and Württemberg.
Rudolf von Habsburg uses Esslingen as a starting point for his attempts within Swabia to reestablish the Duchy of Swabia.
The Esslingen hospital acquires the villages of Möhringen and Vaihingen, which remain under Esslingen ownership until the end of the Old Empire.
The first documented mention of Esslingen as an Imperial City; In a document of King Albrecht, the oldest son of Rudolf von Habsburg, Esslingen appears as one among the “empire’s cities” (in German: one of "des riches steten").
Imperial War of King Henry VII against Count Eberhard I of Württemberg; Esslingen bears the brunt of the war as a suburb of an intra-Swabian League of Towns.
Along with other Württemberg cities, the city of Stuttgart subjects itself to the city of Esslingen and the Empire.
First regiment order that allows the guilds legally recognized during the reign of Rudolf von Habsburg to participate in city government.
1418 - 1693
The cities Esslingen, Reutlingen, Weil der Stadt, Heilbronn Wimpfen, and Rottweil form the so-called “Esslingen Union”, an intra-Swabian League of Towns lead by Esslingen.
Great Swabian city war against Count Eberhard the Beloved of Württemberg, sparked by disputes between Esslingen and Württemberg. Multiple sieges and destructions.
Battle of Mutzenreis right next to the outer bridgehead of the Pliensau Bridge between the army of the Swabian cities and the knights of Ulrich von Württemberg and Bernhard von Baden; defeat of the cities.
Peace is made between Esslingen and Württemberg. Esslingen asks the Margraves of Baden to protect its privileges and freedoms.
Treaty of Trier between Esslingen and Ulrich von Württemberg, which assures Esslingen’s citizens that all possessions within their county will remain exempt from taxation.
A contract is made between Esslingen and Württemberg that guarantees Württemberg’s protection of the Imperial City in exchange for a sum of money. This contract was continually renewed and remained in place until the loss of the Imperial immediacy.
Imperial Regiment and the Imperial Supreme Court in Esslingen. Adoption of the so-called "Esslingen Coin Order” as the first Imperial mind order.
The Esslingen Council announces its decision to allow the Word of God to be freely preached according to Evangelical doctrine in the future.
Karl V gives the city of Esslingen as predominantly aristocratic constitution, which maintained most of its validity until the end of the Old Empire.
1701 - 1894
The Battle of Esslingen and Weil between the French General La Roche and the Archduke Charles of Austria takes place in the wake of the Coalition Wars, which repeatedly affected the city of Esslingen directly.
Christian Gottlieb Steudel, owner of a wool and textile business, asks permission to build a cloth factory, Esslingen’s first factory (until 1825). Steudel’s example is followed 7 years later by Rudy from Neuwied, who built a metal coating factory, and Hans Caspar Bodmer from Stäfa near Zurich, who founded a glove factory.
The City Hall, which was seized in 1803 and served as the seat of a Criminal Tribunal since 1806, becomes the seat of the District Court for the Neckar District.
The request is made at the Württemberg Trade Congress Esslingen to build a Württemberg Central Office for Industry and Commerce (since June 17, 1848).
1909 - 1999
Opening of the Royal Württemberg Building Trades School, Department of Mechanical Engineering, in Esslingen, today the Hochschule Esslingen.
The Esslingen Nellingen-Denkendorf tram line is put into operation.
Completion of the Old City Hall renovations and inauguration of the carillon (1927).
Dissolution of the Esslingen Municipal Council due to the "provisional law for the enforced conformity of the states with the Empire" (March 31st).
"Kristallnacht" in Esslingen: Crowds swarm to the Jewish orphanage. The synagogue is demolished, but not set on fire.
Ground is broken in the new Zollberg city district. The industrial area Neckarwiesen, which was first recognized in 1953, is developed into an “industrial island”.
Inauguration of the Berkheimer Aufstiegstraße. Esslingen am Neckar becomes the county seat of the new greater region of Esslingen.
Demolition of the old Schwätzbrückle. Opening of the Weiherzentrum. The City Hall’s carillon is renewed and expanded. Merkel-Park opens to the public. Inauguration of Esslingen’s first pedestrian zone, Inner Pliensau Bridge.
Berkheim (May 1st) and Zell (July 1st) are incorporated into the city of Esslingen on the basis of voluntary agreements. Inauguration of the high school complex on Flandernstraße. Inauguration of the Berkheim Indoor Swimming Pool.
1,200-year anniversary of the city of Esslingen am Neckar
The inner and outer castle square is renewed.
Inauguration of the new Children's Hospital.
The Gatekeeper’s House / Bahnwärterhaus near the Villa Merkel becomes the State Gallery for Young Art. Inauguration of the redesigned port market.
Storms destroy 38,000 cubic meters of wood in the forest.
800-year anniversary of Berkheim.
Opening of the Civil Office in the City Hall.
Foundation of the City Senior Council.
Foundation of the Esslinger Stadtmarketing und Tourismus GmbH.
The Theodor-Haecker Prize is awarded for the first time.
The University of Applied Sciences Esslingen - Technological College - moved to the new building on Kiesstraße.
A culture, leisure, and experience center opens in the "Dicke Building” / Dick Areal.
Esslingen receives an EU award for its involvement in town twinning.
1,225 years of Esslingen city history.
Opening of the “Das ES” trade center on Bahnhofstraße.
Completion of the renovation work on the Old City Hall.
The State Heritage Authority moves into the “Altes Schelztorgymnasium” building.
Esslingen receives the Europe Plaque from the European Council for its town-twinning activities.