At your service from the cradle to the grave
Responsible for all matters relating to civil status, the Register Office is at your service from the cradle to the grave. We’re here to help you with births, marriages, civil partnerships, leaving the Church, and deaths.
We will be glad to answer your questions in person. Further information and staff contact details can be found under the relevant subject heading.
Please note that when you click on a link you will be directed to a page written in German.
Marriages and civil partnerships
Planning on getting married or entering into a civil partnership in Esslingen? For an overview of the dates available, the wedding venues and all other important information, please go to: Getting married in Esslingen
Certificates & leaving the Church
Do you need a certificate or want to leave the Church?
- We can provide you with certificates from Esslingen’s Register of Births, Deaths and Marriages. You are also welcome to apply for certificates online or by email. We dispatch certificates without delay.
- You should also come to us if you want to change your name, e.g. by reverting to your maiden name following a divorce.
- If you wish to leave the Church, you will have to sign the corresponding declaration in person at our offices. We have drafted a flyer containing the most important things you need to know about leaving the Church.
Kirchenaustritt erklären, Urkunden, Erklärung über die Namensführung
Kirchenaustritt erklären, Urkunden, Erklärungen über die Namensführung
Have you just become parents or are about to do so? For detailed information, please see our flyer entitled Registering Births (german). (324 KB)
- The birth of a child has to be registered. This can be done directly at Esslingen Hospital. You will need your Family Record Book (Stammbuch) and various other documents depending on your personal circumstances.
- In addition, you should have decided on a first name for your child and considered the options available with respect to the surname. We will be pleased to provide you with further information on this subject on a one-to-one basis.
Our premium service:
Once the birth has been registered, the requested birth certificates along with the free certificates for submitting to various public authorities and the original documents provided by you for certification purposes (marriage certificate, Family Record Book, etc.) can be sent to you by registered mail.
An extra fee of 5 euros is charged for postage. We enclose an itemized fee invoice, which can be settled by bank transfer for convenience. This saves you the trouble of traveling into town so you can concentrate on looking after your baby!
Please contact us at:
- We are able to accept acknowledgments of paternity provided your place of residence is within the catchment area of our Register Office.
- However, acknowledgments of paternity with a joint custody declaration signed by the mother and the father can only be submitted to the Youth Welfare Office (Jugendamt) responsible: Youth Welfare Office (Jugendamt) (german)
We certify deaths in the municipality of Esslingen am Neckar and handle the usual formalities in consultation with the undertaker commissioned by you.
Anmeldung der Eheschließung (früher Aufgebot)
Ehefähigkeitszeugnisse für Deutsche bei Eheschließung im Ausland.
If the deceased has no relatives or the beneficiaries have not yet been traced, the estate has to be safeguarded. In this case, the Register Office makes the necessary arrangements with the probate courts, which are responsible for matters relating to the administration of estates.