Trades requiring a license
Basically in the Federal Republic of Germany there is freedom of trade. There are however exceptions to this rule.
For some trades, special license requirements are necessary are necessary, such as specialist knowledge tests, courses, concessions, approval or special permits.
In particular the following business activities require a license:
- Running restaurants and bar services
- Running a taxi business
- Financial service provider
- Trading with weapons, ammunition and explosives
- Manufacturing weapons and pharmaceutical products
- Debt collection agencies
- Ambulance services
- Real estate agents
- Nursing services
- Private hospitals
- Security services
- Insurance brokers
Note: This list is not complete. For these trades you have to provide evidence of your personal reliability, also often your professional skills and if necessary your financial rating or specific premises.
To the procedures and services
- Applying for a certificate of competence for the commercial handling and trading of substances with a risk of explosion
- Applying for a licence to run a private hospital
- Applying for a permit for the commercial purchase and handling of explosive materials
- Applying for a public house licence
- Applying for a special-use permit for roads in built-up areas
- Commercial installation of gaming machines with winning possibilities
- Itinerant Trade License
- License for amusement arcades
- License for auctions
- License for pawnbrokers
- License for security services
- License to manufacture or trade in weapons
- Notification of a seasonal wine tavern ("Straußwirtschaft")
- Temporary license for restaurants
The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Wirtschaftsministerium released it on 25.04.2019. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.