Chronicle of the city of Esslingen am Neckar
Esslingen: A proud, medieval Imperial City, early flourishing industrial city, and a modern, central location for economy and education. Esslingen has a proud, rich history that can still be felt and experienced to this very day.
around 1000 BC until 100-200 AD
around 650 - 1000 AD
The Neckargau region, which encompasses Esslingen as well, is ruled by the Merovingian family of Pleonungen.
First documented mention of Esslingen: Abbot Fulrad von Saint-Denis, chaplain to Pippin and Charlemagne, bequeathed the sixth cell above the Rhine Neckar given to him by the Alsatian noble Hafti (Hatto/Hetti) to the Saint Denis Imperial Monastery near Paris in the event of his death (784). The sixth cell was also the resting place of the bones of Saint Vitalis.
Esslingen received market rights.
King Ludwig of Germany confirmed the market rights of “Hetsilinga”, the former name of Esslingen.
Esslingen is owned by Duke Liutolfs of Swabia.
Esslingen is demonstrated as a mint.
1077 - 1388
Rudolf von Rheinfelden holds a court meeting in the Oppidum.
Documents show Esslingen as the administrative center of an area spanning mainly across the Filder highlands.
Friedrich II hands over as a gift his Esslingen Pfarrkirche to the Speyer cathedral chapter.
Esslingen’s city charter is first mentioned in a donation to the Salem Monastery.
Battle of Frankfurt: Esslingen stands in opposition to the Counts of Wirtenberg, who were defeated in the battle of the Staufers; this marks the beginning of discord between Esslingen and Württemberg.
First mention of the Outer Pliensau Bridge.
Rudolf von Habsburg uses Esslingen as a starting point for his attempts within Swabia to reestablish the Duchy of Swabia.
1295 and 1297
The Esslingen hospital acquires the villages of Möhringen and Vaihingen, which remain under Esslingen ownership until the end of the Old Empire.
The first documented mention of Esslingen as an Imperial City; In a document of King Albrecht, the oldest son of Rudolf von Habsburg, Esslingen appears as one among the “empire’s cities” (in German: one of "des riches steten").
Imperial War of King Henry VII against Count Eberhard I of Württemberg; Esslingen bears the brunt of the war as a suburb of an intra-Swabian League of Towns.
Along with other Württemberg cities, the city of Stuttgart subjects itself to the city of Esslingen and the Empire.
Peace-circuit between Esslingen and Count Eberhard von Württemberg.
First regiment order that allows the guilds legally recognized during the reign of Rudolf von Habsburg to participate in city government.
The League of Towns defeats the counts of Württemberg in the Battle of Reutlingen.
Victory of Count Eberhard of the Greiner of Württemberg over the League of Towns in the Battle of Döffingen.
1418 - 1693
The cities Esslingen, Reutlingen, Weil der Stadt, Heilbronn Wimpfen, and Rottweil form the so-called “Esslingen Union”, an intra-Swabian League of Towns lead by Esslingen.
Great Swabian city war against Count Eberhard the Beloved of Württemberg, sparked by disputes between Esslingen and Württemberg. Multiple sieges and destructions.
Construction of the city’s purchase and tax house (known today as the Old City Hall).
Battle of Mutzenreis right next to the outer bridgehead of the Pliensau Bridge between the army of the Swabian cities and the knights of Ulrich von Württemberg and Bernhard von Baden; defeat of the cities.
Peace is made between Esslingen and Württemberg. Esslingen asks the Margraves of Baden to protect its privileges and freedoms.
Treaty of Trier between Esslingen and Ulrich von Württemberg, which assures Esslingen’s citizens that all possessions within their county will remain exempt from taxation.
A contract is made between Esslingen and Württemberg that guarantees Württemberg’s protection of the Imperial City in exchange for a sum of money. This contract was continually renewed and remained in place until the loss of the Imperial immediacy.
Foundation of the "Swabian League" in Esslingen, which the city joins in the same year.
Esslingen mercenaries participate in the Swabian League’s so-called “Swiss War”.
Last battles between Esslingen and Württemberg.
Imperial Regiment and the Imperial Supreme Court in Esslingen. Adoption of the so-called "Esslingen Coin Order” as the first Imperial mind order.
Interrogation of the Reutlingen preacher Matthew Alber before the Imperial Regiment in Esslingen.
The Esslingen Council announces its decision to allow the Word of God to be freely preached according to Evangelical doctrine in the future.
Esslingen joins the Schmalkaldic League.
Karl V gives the city of Esslingen as predominantly aristocratic constitution, which maintained most of its validity until the end of the Old Empire.
1556/67 and 1571/72
The University of Tübingen relocates to Esslingen due to the plague.
Esslingen retains its independence in the Peace of Westphalia.
The hospital sells the Hohenheim Estate.
General Mélac occupies Esslingen.
Renewed occupation of the city by General Mazel.
1701 - 1894
Great city fire.
New occupational burdens through the city’s occupation by France’s General Villars.
The Battle of Esslingen and Weil between the French General La Roche and the Archduke Charles of Austria takes place in the wake of the Coalition Wars, which repeatedly affected the city of Esslingen directly.
Esslingen becomes a chief administrative city of Württemberg.
Christian Gottlieb Steudel, owner of a wool and textile business, asks permission to build a cloth factory, Esslingen’s first factory (until 1825). Steudel’s example is followed 7 years later by Rudy from Neuwied, who built a metal coating factory, and Hans Caspar Bodmer from Stäfa near Zurich, who founded a glove factory.
Foundation of the Esslingen Teacher Seminar.
The City Hall, which was seized in 1803 and served as the seat of a Criminal Tribunal since 1806, becomes the seat of the District Court for the Neckar District.
Esslingen is the most developed industrial city in the Kingdom of Württemberg.
Württemberg’s first locomotive runs from Cannstatt to Esslingen.
Foundation of the Esslingen Machine Works / Maschinenfabrik Esslingen.
The request is made at the Württemberg Trade Congress Esslingen to build a Württemberg Central Office for Industry and Commerce (since June 17, 1848).
Esslingen receives a telegraph station.
The gas facility opens to supply the train station and larger factories.
The Pliensau suburb is established on the left bank of the Neckar.
Establishment of employment service offices, the very first Job Center in Germany.
1909 - 1999
The first apartments of the homestead colony Neckarhalde are available.
Opening of the tram line Obertürkheim - Mettingen - Oberesslingen.
Incorporation of Oberesslingen and Oberhof.
Incorporation of Hegensberg and Kimmichsweiler.
Opening of the Royal Württemberg Building Trades School, Department of Mechanical Engineering, in Esslingen, today the Hochschule Esslingen.
First semester at the State Higher School of Engineering Esslingen.
A new Württemberg municipal code comes into effect.
Foundation of the Volkshochschule Esslingen (until 1933 and since 1946).
The Esslingen Nellingen-Denkendorf tram line is put into operation.
Completion of the Old City Hall renovations and inauguration of the carillon (1927).
Opening of the Oberesslingen barrage and power station of the Neckar-AG.
Dissolution of the Esslingen Municipal Council due to the "provisional law for the enforced conformity of the states with the Empire" (March 31st).
Ceremonial inauguration of the new castle buildings.
Access to Weil domains and division of the markings Berkheim, Nellingen, and Uhlbach.
"Kristallnacht" in Esslingen: Crowds swarm to the Jewish orphanage. The synagogue is demolished, but not set on fire.
Esslingen is the first Württemberg city to receive a network of urban trolleybuses.
Esslingen is handed over to the Americans on April 22.
Foundation of the School of Church Music in the Evangelical State Church in Württemberg.
Ground is broken for the new Neckartalstraße Esslingen-Plochingen.
Ground is broken in the new Zollberg city district. The industrial area Neckarwiesen, which was first recognized in 1953, is developed into an “industrial island”.
Completion of the Dieter-Roser Bridge (Sirnauer Bridge).
Ground is broken in the new Lerchenäcker city district.
Completion of the Mettinger Bridge.
State Seminar for Student Teachers, now the Seminar for Teacher Education, begins in Esslingen.
Inauguration of the Church of St. Elisabeth in the Pliensauvorstadt.
Technical Academy Esslingen starts operations in the new building in the in the Rotenackerstraße.
Inauguration of the Adenauer Bridge.
Inauguration of the Berkheimer Aufstiegstraße. Esslingen am Neckar becomes the county seat of the new greater region of Esslingen.
Demolition of the old Schwätzbrückle. Opening of the Weiherzentrum. The City Hall’s carillon is renewed and expanded. Merkel-Park opens to the public. Inauguration of Esslingen’s first pedestrian zone, Inner Pliensau Bridge.
Inauguration of the Vogelsang Bridge and the "small market".
Berkheim (May 1st) and Zell (July 1st) are incorporated into the city of Esslingen on the basis of voluntary agreements. Inauguration of the high school complex on Flandernstraße. Inauguration of the Berkheim Indoor Swimming Pool.
Foundation of the Medical Academy of Esslingen.
1,200-year anniversary of the city of Esslingen am Neckar
The inner and outer castle square is renewed.
Inauguration of the new Children's Hospital.
The Esslingen-Nellingen-Denkendorf tram ceases operations.
Inauguration of the castle’s renovated powder tower.
The Gatekeeper’s House / Bahnwärterhaus near the Villa Merkel becomes the State Gallery for Young Art. Inauguration of the redesigned port market.
Storms destroy 38,000 cubic meters of wood in the forest.
800-year anniversary of Berkheim.
Opening of the Civil Office in the City Hall.
Foundation of the Wohnbau Stadt Esslingen GmbH.
Foundation of the City Senior Council.
Foundation of the Esslinger Stadtmarketing und Tourismus GmbH.
The Theodor-Haecker Prize is awarded for the first time.
The University of Applied Sciences Esslingen - Technological College - moved to the new building on Kiesstraße.
Foundation of the Esslingen Youth Council.
A culture, leisure, and experience center opens in the "Dicke Building” / Dick Areal.
Esslingen receives an EU award for its involvement in town twinning.
Opening of the J.F. Schreiber Museum in the Salem Court.
1,225 years of Esslingen city history.
Opening of the “Das ES” trade center on Bahnhofstraße.
Completion of the renovation work on the Old City Hall.
The State Heritage Authority moves into the “Altes Schelztorgymnasium” building.
Esslingen receives the Europe Plaque from the European Council for its town-twinning activities.
Opening of the Neckar Forum culture and congress center, complete with hotel.